Holocaust

The entrance to the Stutthof concentration camp in Poland, 2008. 

A German court announced on Monday that a 95-year-old former Nazi concentration-camp guard was charged with war crimes during the Holocaust.

The suspect was a guard at the Stutthof concentration camp in a wooded area near Danzig (now Gdansk, Poland) in what could be one of the last trials against Nazis in the Holocaust, the AFP reported.

The guard is accused of being part of the murder of several hundred people, a spokesman for the district court in Wuppertal told AFP.

The suspect is being tested to determine whether he is fit enough to stand trial. He was assigned to work at the camp at the age of 19; as such, the case would be held in a juvenile court.

The report also noted that last week, German prosecutors asked for a three-year jail sentence for 93-year-old Bruno Dey, a former guard at Stutthof who they said was “without a doubt” complicit in murdering more than 5,000 people. JN

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.