Do the words “family vacation” fill you with a sense of dread? Grandparents, children, grandchildren — the entire family all in one place!
Vacations should be relaxing and invigorating, not stressful. Rather than worrying over whether everyone is having fun, choose a location that has built-in fun. Make your next family vacation your best one yet by heading to one of these classic destinations that the whole family will love.
Who doesn’t love an amusement park with great food and great entertainment? Take your family to Disney World in Orlando, Florida. It’s a world-renowned and timeless vacation spot for all ages.
• At Disney World, all of your favorite Disney stories come to life. Grandparents, you can relive the nostalgia of your first introduction to your favorite characters. Plus, your grandchildren will love meeting their Disney idols, and you’ll love watching them.
• Choose from a wide variety of accommodations. Disney World has many themed resorts where you can experience Disney’s renowned customer service. Your adult children can relax, the grandkids can play — and you can sit back and enjoy. Added bonus: With shuttle service to the park itself, you won’t need to worry about fitting everyone into a car.
• Enjoy four separate parks. Disney World is one of the largest theme parks in the world. You can choose between Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom. There are also two water parks: Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach. Each park has its own theme. From kid-friendly rides to rollercoasters to foodie experiences, you’ll find something for everyone.
Take the family to Oahu, one of the most popular destinations in Hawaii. It’s the perfect option to a have a vibrant tropical island experience.
• Oahu is fun for your children and grandchildren, and relaxing for you. Oahu is less crowded and more family friendly than the other Hawaiian islands that cater to young adults who want the nightlife. You’ll be able to sleep soundly each night before returning to the beautiful sandy beaches.
• Relax or be adventurous. Enjoy sitting next to the water and lounge in the soft sands. The younger generations can enjoy water activities such as snorkeling, jet skiing, boating, tube riding and beginner surf lessons. Your can also opt to shop at the local attractions. Add some education to the trip with museums and memorials.
• Stay at a beachfront hotel and walk straight to the water with the grandkids. Eat unique and authentic Hawaiian food as you watch performances that surround you in Hawaiian culture. Many resorts also offer spa or massage services to pamper you and provide you with a relaxing getaway.
Yosemite National Park
Give your family the nature experience of a lifetime by taking them to Yosemite National Park. It is one of the most notable and historic national parks that California has to offer.
• Choose comfortable cabins or traditional camping. If you’re looking for the true camping experience, you can pitch a tent and do it the old-fashioned way. If you don’t want to sleep on the ground, check out the cabins with real beds and showers.
• Immerse yourself in nature with famous landmarks and sights. Yosemite is a stunning location to spend time. Take any of the many hiking trails in the park just to explore. Not a family that likes to hike? Enjoy landmarks such as Yosemite Falls, Half Dome, El Capitan, Old Faithful and Glacier Point by car or shuttle.
• Stay active and learn about your surroundings. Hike the trails, swim in the lakes, fish or take a bike or horseback ride through the valleys. Explore at your leisure or take guided tours with park rangers to learn all about Yosemite’s flora and fauna.
The key to a stress-free family vacation is variety — a variety of things to do, places to stay and memories to make. Whether young or old, when the family does things together, you’re bound to create some memories that will last a lifetime.
Don’t dread your next family vacation. Get out there and explore! JN
Tracy Layden is a certified aging in place specialist. She leads the marketing efforts at Alert-1, a personal safety technology and consulting firm dedicated to helping seniors live safely and independently.